The National Theatre presents an eclectic mix of new plays and classics. Over the year we create around 22 productions and aim to reflect the diversity of our culture on the stages.
For each show that we create there is a Costume designer who will have a vision for the costumes we will be working on.
Purpose of Dye shop trainee position:
The Dye shop trainee will help and assist within the dye shop while gaining a wide range of invaluable skills with the aim that they can go on to pursue a career as a dye and breakdown technician within the Costume industry: Theatre, Film and TV.
What is involved?
The role is based at the National Theatre, Southbank, London with training given by the experienced employees of the National Theatre Dye shop. The position lasts for six months and is a full time 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday traineeship.
What will you do and learn during the traineeship?
- Work with a wide range of Designers and learn about their different processes.
- Learn from a highly experienced and talented dye shop team.
- Work within a dynamic and exciting Costume Department.
- Understand the method and detail that goes into creating very specific textile effects.
- Improve and develop your own artistic practice.
- Learn the importance and necessity of working to deadlines.
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of costume construction.
- Learn how to use a wide range of tools and products.
- Work safely at all times, participating in good housekeeping and understanding the importance of high standards of Health & Safety at work.
- Participate in any other training thought necessary and appropriate for the role.
If you have a strong interest in textiles, colour and costume, and a desire to learn about the industry in a creative and inspiring environment, please follow the link for a full job description and to apply.
Please note that applications can only be considered if they are submitted through the National’s Online Recruitment System, and returned by the closing date.
The closing date for the receipt of completed application forms is: 12:00 noon, Friday 5th October 2018
For any queries, please contact the HR Department by emailing: email@example.com
The National Theatre is committed to being an Equal Opportunities employer and as such we actively encourage applications from Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority applicants, and from applicants from local London Boroughs.
Contract Type: Temporary - Full Time
Pay Range: £22,609.60 per annum, pro rata
Closing Date: 12pm, Friday 5 October 2018<< Go back to job listings