Scenic Carpentry Apprentice (Fixed Term Contract – 24 Months)
What is a Scenic Carpenter?
A scenic carpenter in the performing arts is responsible for creating all aspects of stage scenery, using timber and other materials. The designer produces a sketch or model box of their design for the set and the highly skilled scenic carpenters bring this design to life on the stage.
Purpose of the Apprenticeship
The Scenic Construction workshop is part of the Technical Department of the National Theatre and makes scenery for most of the NT shows and events.
The apprenticeship is designed to produce practical skills to a high standard of expertise. The Apprentice Scenic Carpenter will contribute towards the making of scenic elements for the National Theatre in rehearsal and performance.
The Apprentice Scenic Carpenter will learn highly transferable skills alongside gaining a knowledge of materials and stage craft that will open up not a just world of theatrical construction, but events, film, and TV as well.
As this is a training position, we are not looking for experience in scenic carpentry, or of professional theatre, but for someone who has practical skills, which can be applied to this apprenticeship. So, you will need to show us that you enjoy working with your hands, can work well in a team and will be committed to completing this apprenticeship.
This position is not open to those who already have a Level 4 qualification, such as a degree, foundation degree or any post graduate qualification.
The apprenticeship will be split between the National Theatre and the Building Crafts College in Stratford (East London).
At the Building Crafts College:
- You will study for a Carpentry and Joinery Level 2 – Pathway 2 Architectural Joinery Apprenticeship
- Time at college will be in 2 or 3-week blocks.
- You can view the course details here BCC Bench Joinery Apprenticeship
- You will be supported in passing functional skills in English, Maths and ICT if you need to take them.
At the NT:
- Under the direction of NT Staff, make, repair, and refurbish scenery, working from designs, working drawings, and models, and with instructions from Designers, Production Managers, Workshop Supervisors and the Head of Carpentry and Metal.
- Attend dress rehearsals of shows that you have worked on.
- Work to agreed deadlines, consulting at all times with the Head of Carpentry and Metal.
- Work on stage when required, installing, and repairing scenery.
- Join in safety checks, and weekly planning meetings.
- Assist with deliveries and storage.
- Maintain high standards of operations and good housekeeping in the workshop.
- Work safely and follow Health & Safety policies and guidelines.
- Participate in other training as necessary and appropriate, including visiting other workplaces on placement.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Head of Carpentry and Metal, or the Workforce Development Manager.
What you must have to apply
- Be 18 years old or older by 2nd September 2019
- Be curious about the world, and keen to learn new things
- Be able to work well within a team
- Have a helpful, positive and flexible approach and attitude, whether the work is routine or exciting.
- Be punctual and good at managing your own workload
- Understand the importance of Health and Safety rules
- Desire to become a Scenic Carpenter of the highest level
Applicants must NOT hold Level 4 qualification, a degree or post graduate qualification, or be about to receive one
Please follow the link for more information and to apply.
The deadline for receipt of completed applications is 12:00 noon, Monday June 24th, 2019
We want our workforce to be representative of all sections of society and welcome applications from everyone.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for our vacancies.
HR Department 2019
Hours: Up to 40 hours per week (including college and stu
Contract Type: Apprenticeship and Placements
Pay Range: £17.076 per year
Closing Date: 12pm, Monday 24 June 2019<< Go back to job listings